Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20520
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).

Hague Adoption Convention

To adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States, you must be found eligible to adopt under U.S. law.  The Federal agency that makes this determination is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), part of the Department of Homeland Security.  You may not bring an adopted child (or a child for which you have gained legal custody for the purpose of emigration and adoption) into the United States until USCIS determines that you are eligible to adopt from another country.   

National Requirements

In order to bring a foreign-born child whom you’ve adopted to the United States, you must meet certain requirements.  Some of the basic requirements include the following:

1.  You must be a U.S. Citizen.

2.  If you are unmarried, you must be at least 25 years old.

3.  If you are married, you must jointly adopt the child (even if you are separated but not divorced), and your spouse must also be either a U.S. citizen or in legal status in the United States.

4.  You must meet certain requirements that will determine your suitability as a prospective adoptive parent, including criminal background checks, fingerprinting, and a home study. 

State Requirements
In addition to qualifying to adopt under U.S. law, you must also meet your home state’s requirements for prospective adoptive parents.  Learn more about individual state requirements on the Child Welfare Information Gateway website. 

Foreign Country Requirements
Each country has its own requirements for adopting parents.  These are explained in the Country Information section of this website.

Comments on this Adopt                                                     page 1 of 1
Click here to add a comment
Posted 589 days ago
acheter [beep] [beep]
prix [beep] [beep] acheter belgique
acquisto [beep] [beep]
comprar [beep] venta [beep] online
Posted 690 days ago -
Posted 690 days ago -
Posted 691 days ago -
Posted 691 days ago -
Posted 691 days ago -
Posted 691 days ago -
Posted 2753 days ago
Hello Irene,Saw your blog in ramdom & read it...would you mind me askin' dgiarren' your application for Citizenship as I also have a friend in US who I know is getting her Citizenship soon.I read that in order to have Citizenship you have to be a Permanent Resident first for 3 or more yrs. in one of your blog (Places Must See) I read you were sayin' that you came to US just last January 27, 2007, how come you're able to apply for Citizenship when its like you've just stayed there for more than a year? The information you've provided is kind of contradicting to what I've read in the website. Any advice will be greatly appreciated so I can let my friend know how you did it too.Thanks in advance.